Posted By Bryce Parks on March 28, 2014
Photos by Bob Felderman, Bryce Parks and Kristina Nesteby
Ed Graham started working at Boston Clothiers in 1905. Who would have thought it would start a one hundred-plus-year family tradition? From there to Kraft’s Clothiers, where he became the General Manager, to finally opening his own store in 1936 across the street where the American Trust’s Trust Department is today. Ed was cementing the roots of tradition. His sons Joe and John Graham helped him open that first store in a long, skinny building that sat flush with the Cottingham & Butler building along Main Street. Though they eventually wanted to renovate, the building owners at the time purportedly did not allow it because he did not want to raise the building’s value and pay higher property taxes. Graham’s moved across and up the street in 1968 to the Fischer Building where Dubuque Religious Goods stands today.